Your Position:

Must I register? Where do I get a proof of address?

Every person who moves (either into a main or into a secondary residence) must register the move within two weeks. This can be done in every registration office in Dresden (not only the central one or the one in Plauen); you can then avoid a long queue time.

Applicants, who have a SEPA-account will get their proof of address (which must be presented at the registration office) upon receiving their keys in the student hall. The caretaker will note the move-in date on the document.

Applicants without a SEPA-account will receive their proof of address upon signing their contract and are then able to present it to the caretaker in the student hall.

Further information from the State Capital Dresden

Current instructions for registration in 2023 (PDF)
List of Citizens’ Offices (Bürgerbüros) in the city of Dresden
Department of Citizenship and Foreigners Affairs

You must register only if you move abroad or if you give up a secondary residence. The “cancel registration” must be done at the earliest one week before you move out and the registration office competent for your main residence must be informed within two weeks after.